Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The News Relevance Scale

Since so much "news" is trivial matters that don't have an inpact on most people's lives, I've decided to develop a system for classify the news worthiness of articles. Simply put, I'll assign a value 1-5 for how the event effects the people directly involved and how large a group they are. I will also assign a value of 1-5 for how it affects people indirectly affected and how many people are effected indirectly.

So, a "10" would be something that has a huge impact on everyone on the planet. For example, nuclear war, a cure for cancer, or contact with Alien life.

A "0" will be award to things like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie doing anything short of murder.

I've decided to use cnn.com as my initial test of the News Relevance Scale. Here's their top stories for today:
2.0

This seems a little high, but 3 people are dead, one of whom was a child. I'd imagine if they lived in my town or watched wrestling, I'd feel some sense of personal loss.

3.0

Lots of people might lose a lot of property.

2.0

It's like a smaller version of the fire issue.

6.0

Affects the people of England tremendously and the international community significantly.

1.0

This sort of thing happens all the time. What's different about this? He was a cop? He was black, she was white? I don't see this being an OJ level race issue. It's tragic, but no more so then things that don't get a sniff of the top headlines that happen all the time.

0.0

How is this news?

0.0

Maybe I need to start assigning negative numbers. I mean, really. Yes, this is "news" for Entertainment Tonight, but this isn't even an event!

1.0

He's running for president. She's evil. She's the epitome of what this site stands against. Still, this isn't really news.

1.0

I guess if you're into Mummies, this is a big deal.

0.0

Let JibJab do their own advertising.

0.5

I'm trying to sell my old comic book collection too. CNN, how about hooking me up?

2.0

Could mean a shift in technology, but unlikely to change most people's lives.

0.0

I love competitive eating as much as the next guy, but you can't tell me this is one of the most important events in the last 24 hrs.

So for today, cnn.com gets a 1.42. Now, you're gonna have slow news days but I don't think that's the case here. I think CNN has decided to tell us about a lot of meaningless drivel. I'd give them points for not mentioning Paris Hilton being released from jail but then they're interviewing her tonight on Larry King Live...

No comments: