Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Intro

The O'Reilly intro:

[Music in the background; Gary Wright's "Love is Alive"]
Well I think its time to get ready to realize just what I have found

[O'Reilly's voice]
"The way I get things done is to say to politicians and powerful people, either you do the right thing or I'm going to tear your throat out."

[Barbara Walters]
"He's very controversial. He takes certain stands."

[Other voices I don't recognize]
"I think that he has a United States of America view honey!"

"Is he conservative or is he liberal?"

"I don't agree with O'Reilly but I think he has talent."

"I love Bill O'Reilly. Well balanced. Neither right nor left. Always tells the truth."

"I'm in this to win it. I'm in it to win it, the culture war."

[Rosie O'Donnell]
"All the criticism you get. You're obnoxious. You're rude. Does it bother you or do you like it?"


Are you kidding me? This is the intro to a news show? He threatens to tear the throat out of people he disagrees with. He has a bunch of people talk about how he doesn't lie and is perfectly balanced. He has Rosie O'Donnell call him obnoxious and rude. This is the state of modern journalism? Pretend you are balanced and then spend 2 hours on the radio (more like 70 minutes with the plethora of commercials, not to mention the constant selling of his books, t-shirts, mugs and premium website access) espousing a very specific and directed agenda.

I thought I would start out by giving you a taste of how he sells himself. In the days, weeks, months and years to come (who are we kidding, we will get bored of writing in this blog by Thursday) we will go into details about O'Reilly's tactics as well as the tactics of "journalists" from sources as varied as Fox, The New York Times, CNN, Free Market News Network, etc etc.

No comments: